Chewy and flavorful yard long beans, also known as Chinese snake beans, are closely related to black-eyed peas. The yard long pods are actually legumes belonging to the Fabaceae family.Its immature, tender, edible pods are one of the most popular greens used in the Philippines, and other East Asian cuisines. The beans are also grown in small scales in the home gardens in Southern United states, West-Indies as well as in the Mediterranean regions. Lets mynutrisi talk about the benefits of long beans.
Benefits of Long Beans Despite Its Lengthy Structure
Long beans contain very low calories ie 100 g mung bean contains only 47 calories. It contains soluble and insoluble fiber quantities. Long beans contain enough amount of food fiber needed in the diet. Nutrition of fiber in food helps protect the mucous membrane of the colon by reducing exposure time to toxic substances and can kill chemicals that cause cancer in the colon. Food rich in fiber is also found to reduce LDL cholesterol levels by reducing the absorption of cholesterol in the intestine.
Long beans are one of the best sources of folate to the body. 100 g of long beans can provide 62 μg or 15% of daily requirement of folate. Folate together with vitamin B-12 is one of the important components of DNA synthesis and cell division. Sufficient folate in the diet during pregnancy can help prevent neural tube defects in newborns.
Long bean contain a considerable amount of vitamin C that is 100 g of long beans providing 18.8 mg or 31% of vitamin C. Vitamin C is a water-soluble antioxidant that helps build immunity against infections, helps maintain the elasticity of the blood vessels and offers some protection against cancer .
Furthermore, long beans are an excellent source of vitamin A. At 865 IU per 100 g, this beans have more vitamins than any other family of beans. Vitamin A is one of the essential vitamins for body supplied through our diet. Vitamin A maintains the integrity of the mucous membrane, enhances skin brightness and improves night vision.
In addition, long beans also provide some essential minerals for your body such as iron, copper, manganese, calcium and magnesium.
So now, what are you waiting anymore? Lets take some long beans for your health.
How to Make the Best Spicy Stir Fried Chinese Long Beans
Chinese long beans are exactly what it sounds like. It’s just a super duper long beans! It has more crunchier texture and thinner than regular green beans. Taste wise? Pretty much same. This is the best Spicy Stir Fried Chinese Long Beans recipe by Seonkyoung Longest
Special Recipes of Spicy Stir Fried Chinese Long Beans :
For the Sauce
- 2 Tbsp toban djang (Chinese Chili Bean Sauce)
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce or Vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
For Stir Fry
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil (only if you are using center cut bacon)
- 6 slices of thick center cut or 4 slices of thick cut bacon, cut into bite sizes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small shallot, chopped (You can substitute to ¼ of small onion)
- 1 lb long beans, cut into 2-inches long (You can substitute to green beans)
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- Heat a wok over high heat, add oil and bacon. Cook the bacon until the edges are crispy and enough oil’s released.
- Add chopped garlic and shallot. Stir fry for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until you can smell the fragrance.
- Before the garlic and shallots get burn, pour the sauce mixture. Stir fry all together for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Be careful not to burn the sauce.
- Add long beans and chicken stock. Now, cover with a lid and let them steam for 5 to 6 minutes. Stir occasionally. If don’t have a lid for your wok, add additional ¼ cup water. Stir fry for 5 to 6 minutes or until all the moisture’s evaporated.
- Serve on a serving plate and enjoy! I recommend to serve with my Zesty Prime Ribs and Honey Butter Smashed Potato!