There are so many benefits of onions that have been used all around the world. Onions are commonly chopped and used as an ingredient in various hearty warm dishes, and may also be used as a main ingredient in their own right, for example in French onion soup, creamed onions, and onion chutney. They are versatile and can be baked, boiled, braised, grilled, fried, roasted, sautéed, or eaten raw in salads. Their layered nature makes them easy to hollow out once cooked, facilitating stuffing them, as in Turkish sogan-dolma. Onions are a staple in Indian cuisine, used as a thickening agent for curries and gravies.Lets mynutrisi talk about the benefits of onions.
Benefits of Onions Despite of Its Superb After-Cooked Taste
- Onions are suppliers of excellent food such as vitamin C, B6, Biotin, chromium, calcium and fiber. In addition, it contains a good amount of folic acid and vitamin B1 and K.
- 100 grams of onions provides 44 calories mostly as complex carbohydrates and 1.4 grams of fiber.
- Onions have alliinase enzymes that are released when the onion is cut or crushed and it causes watery eyes
- It also contains flavonoids which is the pigment that give color to vegetables. These compounds act as antioxidants and have a direct anti-tumor effect and enhance the immune system.
- The onion contains a large amount of sulphur and is very good for the liver. Nourished foods that contained sulphur mix very well with proteins as they stimulate amino acid action for the brain and nervous system.
- Onion is a rich source of nutrients namely Quercitin. This Quercitin is rich in flavonoid antioxidants (which also present in red onions, holland onion only but sadly not in garlic) found in and near the skin and is mainly associated with onion health benefits. Quercitin has been shown to lower cholesterol, increase HDL cholesterol, repel blood clots, fight asthma, chronic bronchitis, fever, diabetes, atherosclerosis and infections and are specifically linked to preventing human stomach cancer.
- It is also has anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, anti-viral, and also considered to have various anticancer powers. Quercitin is also sedative. So far, no better source of food supplies Quercitin than onion skins.
- You do not need to eat a lot of onions to achieve these effects. In fact, studies show that you can get the health benefits of onion by eating only one onion, raw or cooked on a day.
- Onions contain various sulfur organic compounds that provide health benefits.
- Amino acids containing sulfur contained in onions and garlic and eggs.
- Certain amino acids called methionine and cystine are excellent for detoxifying your body from heavy metals. In fact it can remove mercury, cadmium out of the body.
- Vitamin C is also presence in the onions and it is very good to detoxify the body and effectively eliminate lead, arsenic and cadmium. So increasing the use of onions can help the body to get rid of harmful metals.
- To help keep your blood free from clotting, and make the most of onion health benefits, eat them both raw and cooked.
- Setting onions for heart patients is not a routine among cardiologists. But at Harvard Dr. Victor Gurewich advises all coronary heart disease patients to eat onions every day.
- Shortly, Here are some things that it can do to your heart:
- Increase good HDL cholesterol
- Launched blood flow
- Slows down blood clots
- Lower blood cholesterol levels
- Lower triglyceride
- Low blood pressure
- All the onions and families of onions (garlic, vegetables, chives and onions) are rich in organosulfur compounds which are very helpful in preventing cancer. In fact, onion extracts have been found to destroy tumor cells in the test tube and capture tumor growth when tumor cells have been planted in mice. Onion extracts have been shown to be extraordinarily non-toxic, as the dosage is as high as forty times the amount of dose needed to kill the tumor cells and it has no adverse effects on the body.
- Onion also has been shown to have a significant reduction in blood sugar levels, even on par with prescription medicines.
- Active compounds that seem to be responsible for lowering glucose work by compete with insulin for damage to the liver site, thereby increasing the lifetime of insulin.
- Onions have historically been used to treat asthma as well. Asthma action is caused by the ability to prevent the production of substances that cause bronchial muscles to become seizures.
- Onions have strong antibacterial activity, destroying many pathogenic pathogens including E. coli and salmonella.
- Chop the onion and mix with honey (Manuka honey is better) and let it for four or five hours. It is a very good cough syrup and it is great to calm the inflamed throat.
- The use of onions such as garlic, vegetables and onions gives healing effect to major degenerative diseases until today, like atherosclerosis, diabetes and cancer.
As you can see, you do not have to eat too much onion, but do so in a small amount for your health. So now, what are you wait anymore? Lets take some onions for your health.
Crispy Onion Rings Recipe – How to Make Homemade Crispy Onion Rings
Well, I have good news – this onion rings recipe is so easy, and so amazingly crispy, you can now make up for all those years of deep-fried denial by making these at home. If fact, these are so good, you may want to consider charging your friends and family a little bit extra for the upgrade. Enjoy! This is the best homemade crispy onion rings recipe by Food Wishes. I really hope you guys can try this out and get the benefits of onions by yourself.
Special Recipes of Delicious Homemade Crispy Onion Rings:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes
- big pinch of cayenne
- 1 cup cold club soda
- 2-3 cups Panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs), or as needed
- fine salt to taste
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2-3 yellow onions, cut into 1/4-inch rings
*Note: the amounts in the video were for a smaller batch. The amounts above will make a nice large batch, enough for about 8 servings.
So, what are you waiting for? Try out this simple recipes and get all the benefits of onions for your health!