When you think of the health benefits of watermelon, the seeds probably don’t come to mind. You probably think about the sweet, juicy pulp, with the seeds an afterthought and maybe good only for spitting contests. The fact is, watermelon seeds make a great snack when they have been dried and roasted. Lets mynutrisi talk about the benefits of watermelon seed.
Benefits of Watermelon Seed Despite of Its Crunchiness
- Your body needs amino acids but there are some important amino acids like arginine and lysine which the body can not produce on its own and this should be provided from food sources. Watermelon seeds contain some essential amino acids such as tryptophan and glutamic acid. Lysine helps in calcium absorption to facilitate the formation of collagen and connective tissue in the body while arginine improves body metabolism, cardiovascular system and sexual health.
- Watermelon seeds are a good source of magnesium with 100 grams of seeds providing 139 percent of the recommended daily necessities. Magnesium is important for normal functioning of the heart, maintaining normal blood pressure, supporting metabolism and protein synthesis. It also benefits the treatment of cardiovascular diseases and high blood pressure while maintaining blood pressure and diabetes.
- Watermelon Seed contains a good lycopene for your face and also helps in enhancing male fertility.
- It is a multivitamin B source and can replace some of the supplements. Vitamin B in watermelon seeds consists of niacin, folate, thiamine, riboflavin, vitamin B6 and Pantothenic acid. Vitamin B is important for maintaining healthy blood, nervous system and effective immune response.
- Watermelon Seeds can be used to treat diabetes. Boil a handful of melon seeds in 1 liter of water for 45 minutes with a protected pot. This ingredient needs to be taken every day like tea.
- Watermelon seeds are effective in restoring health after illness and sharpening your memory.
- Nearly half of the watermelon seeds contain oil comprising 20 percent of saturated fat and other monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats including omega-6 fatty acids. One cup of dried melon seeds contains about 50 grams of fat which is about 80 percent of the recommended daily value. Therefore watermelon seeds are an important source of calories and energy.
- Protein deficiency is a common thing that leads to illnesses such as the weakness of all bodies and kwashiorkor in poor countries around the world. As high in protein, melon seeds can be very useful in combating protein deficiency. One dry seed cup provides about 30 grams of protein. Proteins and amino acids are important for the growth and repair of muscles, skin and connective tissue as well as to make enzymes. Protein is also needed for the maintenance of long and strong nails.
- In addition to their health benefits, melon seeds are good for your skin as well. Being rich with nutritious nutrients such as unsaturated fatty acids such as oleic and linoleum acid, melon seeds keep your skin healthy and radiant from within.
- Unsaturated fatty acids in watermelon seeds keep the skin moist, soft, smooth, bright as well as can prevent acne and other skin disorders.
- Watermelon seeds prevent signs of aging as it contains antioxidants and oils that make your skin look younger, healthier and more energetic.
- Watermelon seed oil or also known as Ootanga oil or Kalahari oil is very beneficial to your skin. Being light in texture, it does not clog the skin pores, allowing your skin to function naturally and is a good skin moisturizer. Due to the excellent moisturizing properties, seed oil melon is used as an essential ingredient in baby oil.
- Melon seed oil also can removes sebum, dirt and oil that accumulates in your skin pores that is responsible for causing acne and gives a dull appearance to your skin. This oil is suitable for all skin types including dry, oily, acne and mature skin acne.
- Watermelon seeds can trap humidity, thereby combating aging. It also rejuvenates the elasticity of your skin.
- Various nutrients contained in melon seeds protect your skin from some types of skin cancer and infections as well.
- As mentioned earlier, melon seeds have a high protein content in them that can keep your hair healthy and shiny. These proteins contain certain amino acids such as lysine, arginine, tryptophan and glutamic acid that your body needs to keep your hair healthy and strong.
- Watermelon seeds contain copper that are involved in melanin production. As you know melanin is a pigment that gives color to your hair and skin.
- Watermelon seed oil can also be used as your hair oil. As previously indicated, this oil can easily be absorbed without clogging your scalp. It provides moisturizing benefits and improves hair growth by maintaining hair and scalp health.
So now, what are you waiting anymore? Lets take some watermelon seed for our health.
How to Make the Best Muskmelon Seeds Namkeen
Muskmelon seeds namkeen makes a perfect partner to your steaming cup of tea. This kharbooja giri namkeen is super delicious.. This is the best Melon Seed Namkeen recipe by Nisha Madhulika
Special Recipes of Delicious Melon Seed Namkeen :
- Melon seeds – 1 cup (120 grams)
- Almonds – 40 (50 grams)
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Black pepper – ½ tsp (coarsely grounded)
- Salt – less than ¼ tsp or as per taste
- Chaat masala – 1 tsp
1. Start with cleaning the melon seeds to be used for making the namkeen.
2. Now for making the namkeen, heat a pan or wok and dry roast the melon seeds. Stir constantly until the seeds turn slightly brown. Make sure the flame is kept medium. If the seeds spill out from the wok while roasting, cover them with a plate or a lid.
3. After this, transfer the roasted melon seeds to a plate and allow them to cool down. Then take the seeds in a sieve and strain out the skin on them.
4. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a wok and drop the almonds into it. Stir fry the almonds little slightly brown on medium flame. After roasting the almonds for 2 minutes, mix the melon seeds as well. Give a nice stir and turn off the flame.
5. To the namkeen add some salt, chaat masala and coarsely ground black pepper. Stir to mix everything really well. Lip smacking melon seed namkeen is ready, transfer it to a serving plate or bowl.
6. Serve this delectable melon seed namkeen with a steaming hot cup of tea or coffee and relish eating.
If making this namkeen for vrat then add sendha salt and black peppercorns powder only. Time taken – 20 minutes